windows partition

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 19:07:55 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/04/2008 10:07 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>>     Sorry I did not mean to ask how to mount but how to give permissions
>> to users,root .etc
>>

> >From the previous second hard drive thread, the link that I gave you
> (and as Nils pointed out re chown):
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive
>
> Under "Automatic Mount at Boot"
> <quote>
> If you want to allow a normal user to create files on this drive, you
> can either give this user ownership of the top directory of the drive
> filesystem: (replace USERNAME with the username)
>
>     * sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /media/mynewdrive
>
> or in a more flexible way, practical if you have several users, allow
> for instance the users in the plugdev group (usually those who are meant
> to be able to mount removable disks, desktop users) to create files and
> sub-directories on the disk:
>
>     *   sudo chgrp plugdev /media/mynewdrive
>         sudo chmod g+w /media/mynewdrive
>         sudo chmod +t /media/mynewdrive
>
> The last "chmod +t" adds the sticky bit, so that people can only delete
> their own files and sub-directories in a directory, even if they have
> write permissions to it (see man chmod).
> </quote>

Ok works fine,  I went to the url you sent me and there was something
wrong with what I typed, a space a capitol letter or something and I
looked at it for a long time and could not figure out what I had done
wrong.  I baisicly knew what to do but couldn't get it right. My hunt
and peck typing creates errors and in this case I just couldn't see it
                         Thanks Doug