rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:45:07 UTC 2008

2008/9/4 Steve Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org>:
>    I have and this is a 3-step process to do what I was able to do in one
> before.

That is a compelling argument.

> It is something I commented on in Mozillazine threads.  Whereas
> before I could hit a keystroke or two and automatically get to the site I
> wanted now I have to actually devise, implement and maintain such a scheme
> manually.  Given that I have no interest in bookmarks much less tagging them
> this solution is DOA.
>
>> Steve, check if there is an issue on Bugzilla regarding the behaviour
>> that you want. If not, then file one. In either case, post the bug
>> number here so that myself and others can comment on it, vote on it,
>> and support you in getting that behaviour back. It sounds reasonable
>> enough.
>
>    There is and I believe it was closed as will-not-fix.  The gist of it was
> the developers feel that this behavior is correct and the users simply must
> get used to it as its not going away and will not be reverted, not even as an
> option.  It is a paradigm shift from the address-bar for addresses to the
> address-bar being overloaded to be more than addresses.

The Mozilla devs are very stubborn, I know. Especially when users ask
for functionality that had been removed. I have filed or commented on
at least five bugs asking for something or other to be returned, and
it is a fight.

>    Personally I've gotten used to it.  I'm not pleased with having to do so
> and every time I get a new FF install (which is often) I gnash my teeth at
> having to retrain the AB.  But I've written it off as a lost battle against
> pig-headed developers.  I was only hoping that your message was a signal that
> I may have been premature in that course of action.  Thanks for the
> clarification.

I will look through Mozillazine and maybe make some comments.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il