make apt-get stop bothering me about signatures

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Sep 4 17:06:19 UTC 2008

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2008/9/3 Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>
>
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> re is a weakness in apt-get compared
>>> against yum in Fedora.  You seem to say it is necessary for me to
>>> accept all unsigned packages, rather than simply accepting unsigned
>>> packages from one particular trusted site.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this statement. You can set the same behaviour
>> in yum, so I don't think it's inherently safer than apt.  I thought
>> there was a way to edit the sources in Ubuntu to allow unsigned packages
>> from a particular repo similar to what yum does?
>>
>> Regardless, if you want unsigned packages, download them, MD5SUM them,
>> then install with dpkg.  That is a safer option in my mind than making
>> apt insecure.
>>

>>  Excuse me for asking a stupid question, but how can it be dangerous? Will
> a knife come out of my screen and cut my throat off?
> But seriously, what's the worst thing that could happen?
> That everything is erased from my drives (I have a backup that on an USB
> drive that is always turned off, except when I am running my backup script)?
> Or that someone can read my files (like I cared… that person doesn't need
> much entertainment…)?
> Or maybe that my computer could send viruses to WIndows machines (again,
> like I cared…)?
> Or someone would get information about my father and go killing him (he died
> eight years ago anyway)?
> What is the threat, really? I guess I really missed something. Would be
> interesting to know what.

Well, it's possible, with an insecure system for someone to dump child
pr0n on your system and the call the cops?  How would you like that?

The point is, security should be a consideration for everyone.  Whether
you have anything like credit card numbers or not on it is irrelevant.
I am rather disturbed by your seeming lack of concern over it.  But then
I'm uber-paranoid.

The point is, this kind of attitude is why so many systems have bots and
trojans on them.  The more we take security seriously, the less this
will happen.  And I personally would like to see fewer attacks against
my servers from botnets.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support