maildirs (was rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 4 13:55:39 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:

> Huh? Isn't it standard practice to move maildir inboxes into the user's
> home directory to avoid confounding the plethora of processes that
> *expect* /var/mail/* to be mbox?

Well, now, that may be - if it's "standard" though, somebody forgot to
publish the standard.  I've been unable to find any good argument for one
way over the other, and this was Postfix's choice.  Dovecot, otoh, expected
the mail to be in ~/Maildir - and the two are symlinked.  I don't know of
anything that "expects" /var/mail to be mboxen, but no doubt there are
silly programs like that.

I _think_ I really want mail in the user dirs, just to keep it with the rest
on backup, but it's still most convenient to symlink /var/mail/$USER to
~/Maildir
--
derek