How-to install 8.04 (server) to raid 1 + LVM? [SOLVED]

Jonathan Hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Wed Sep 3 17:15:43 UTC 2008

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá Jonathan e a todos.
>
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 23:13:54 Jonathan Hirschman wrote:
>> Does anyone have a helpful how-to on doing this? I cannot find anything
>> via Google or the Ubuntu forums... would greatly appreciate either the
>> bullet points, or a link to a how-to.
>
> There a couple of pages on the ubuntu wiki, under Server branch.
> You can also try to enter in contact with the ubuntu-server mailinglist.
>
> As far as I know, to use LVM you must use the alternate CD.
> Other than that, I cant help you.

If there's documentation on this process, I couldn't find it after
substantial searching. That being said, here's how you do it, basically
(from memory):

+ During the partitioning segment of the install, choose manual, and
create partition(s) on the disks being used for RAID,

+ Define the RAID(s),

+ After that, select a given RAID. The next screen has an option to
define it as part of an LVM volume group.

After that, you have an LVM configuration option. The installer handles
all of it, it is just kind of hidden.

I have it running right now - one logical volume for root, one for /tmp
(so I can mount that noexec). Can always resize and split off volumes
later, but now it is done.

jh