rolling Firefox back to 2.x

Nik N niknot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:55:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Tony Arnold
<tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> ...In the UK, a law was passed recently
> which allows law enforcement agencies to ask for encryption keys. You
> can be locked up for 5 years for refusing to divulge it! And that's in
> criminal cases; I'm not sure about civil cases.

We know about it, but in this case we don't have a potential for some
"post-9-11" political and/or criminal action, but a rather straightforward
civil case (i. e., "its only money..." (tm:)). However, (check with your
favorite lawyer, either side of the pond) from the point of view of being
forced by law to divulge the encryption key, the person askey to produce
the key is in *weaker* position if the conflagration is civil (at best, they
could be the same). But as I stated before, for that reason and other,
in this case encryption is not considered a solution.

Further examination of the threat model is not particularly productive;
I'd be very much obliged if someone with enough knowledge of FF3
(and, perhaps, FF2) could draw up that list of files, with specific
reference to what type of user data is kept in which. If there are any
non-obvious consequences of shreding such files after the end of each
session, we'd appreciated being made aware of those too.
(and no, there is no need to consider various add-ons).

TIA, Nik N.