Right Click - Edit as root

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Sep 3 13:33:33 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/02/2008 02:44 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Tony Arnold
>> <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Wade,

>>> I'm sure this must be what you are doing, but just to be sure, I meant
>>> hold down the Alt key and press the F2 key at the same time. Is it
>>> configured in System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts?
>>>
>>> Odd it's not working. You should get a dialogue box in which you type
>>> the 'gksudo nautilus' command. It's after that you get prompted for your
>>> password.
>>>
> [snip]
>> Tony, it says, "Alt+F2" = Show the panel run application dialog.
>> I see nothing in here about nautilus.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> If you press Alt key, and then while still holding down the Alt key you
> then press the F2 key you should get a popup that shows "Run
> Application". In the command box enter: gksu nautilus
> Note: you can do the same from the terminal.
> Be aware that that puts all of Nautilus in the root mode, so you can
> wander about and cause havoc to all of your files if you wish. So use
> with caution.
>
> If you are not getting the popup, then something is wrong with your system.

Given gnome's insane drag n' drop move files without asking and with no
undo and we won't ever allow you to change that default behavior, I
really don't think running nautilus as root is *ever* a good idea.  I
usually do my root file management from the console, but surely there's
a better, more sensible gui that can be used? I mean, besides Konqueror,
which is great, but some might prefer not installing all of KDE.  (Under
no circumstance should you ever attempt this with a touchpad)