Slow down CDROM drive

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 10:15:13 UTC 2008

On 9/3/08, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/3 Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com>:
> > If it were my drive, I would open it up and see if there is something
> > I can fix by hand. I have fixed a lot of computer stuff this way.
> >

> The spindle is part of the tray (laptop) so I did look at it. There
> does not seem to be anything amiss at rest, but 2000 RPM (just
> guessing) is another story.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
Hi
prolly a nuked bearing. You will not be able to fix this. A lower
speed will decrease the problem and decrease the wear on the drive,
but the drive will degrade fast.

A laptop drive seems to be expensive, maybe an external disk is
cheaper (and you'll have an enclosure to connect a 3.5 inch disk for
rescue or backup)

Hope you'll be able to fix this

Neil
--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count