Right Click - Edit as root

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 2 17:02:46 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008 09:24 AM, Wade Smart wrote:
> I finally took the plunge and moved from 7.04 to 8.04
> Two things I already miss are the numlockx and Right Click edit as root script.
>
> I need to copy over from my backup hd some files for dovecot and
> postfix but they are in root. Since apparently the right click script
> will no longer work how can I work as root on nautilus?

As others have mentioned you can open nautilus as gksu. However, if you
want the right-click edit as administrator back you can install
nautilus-gksu:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu

Logout and log back in. Now when you want to edit, for example,
/etc/fstab just go to that in Nautilus and right-click. You will then
see an option to "Open as administrator", click that and the file will
be opened in gedit with root permissions so that you can edit and save
back to /etc. It will also create a backup /etc/fstab~ that you can fall
back on incase something doesn't work with the new edits.