I am so lost with this program!!!!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Sep 1 12:04:15 UTC 2008

Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:

> Its comments like this which perpetuates the widely accepted notion that
> Linux users are fanboys who are not very friendly towards newbies.  Such
> comments have no place what so ever in a forum for a Linux distro which
> has as its main philosophy being on "community".   Anyone who makes
> comments like these is not a part of our community, they are a
> disruptive element who is undermining the very foundation upon which
> Ubuntu stands firmly upon.

Oh come on.  Really? I don't recall anyone here making you
philosopher-in-list.  Or for that matter, keeper of morality for Linux
in general.

> These is no place for this kind of behavior here, it is our
> responsibility as Ubuntu users to be a shining beacon of light to those
> who brave the turbulent waters of switching from Windows to Linux.

Let me see if I can shed some light on this for you.  I've migrated more
users to Linux than most.  This kind of behaviour is just FINE here.
Wanna know why?  Because this stuff is hard enough WITH a sense of
humor.  Without it and you are nothing.  This is not some momentous
change in a person's life.  It's not like getting married or having
kids.  It's switching to a new OS.  You can always switch back.  (Well,
you can divorce, too, but you can't undo kids.  I know, I've wanted to a
couple of times with mine.)

    Its
> not an easy switch, it comes with sacrifice, but the overall benefits
> and gains which come from switching platforms is more than worth it.  We
> need to give people an incentive to continue on this journey, and making
> comments like this only discourages them.

Comes with a sacrifice?  What is this, are we joining the Communists?
Really?

> Linux is at a historic crossroads right now, never before has the OS
> come so close to being accepted in the mainstream than it has right
> now.  Last year nobody would have ever guessed that desktop PCs and
> laptops would be sold with distros of Linux pre-installed, nor did
> anyone ever guess that Ubuntu would be one of them.  Today, Linux is
> everywhere, its in our cellphones, set top boxes, game consoles, and its
> in Ultra-Mobile PCs which are all the rage these days.  Not only that,
> but many manufacturers are selling computers that boot in 15 seconds to
> a Linux desktop for browsing the web and checking email without even
> all of these advances the OS still hasn't captured the hearts and minds
> of the average computer user.  MS Windows still dominates, but that is
> changing and in order for us to make full mainstream acceptance of Linux
> a reality we must work together.
>
> Comments like the one seen above only works against us.

Against us?  Okay, I wanna make one thing clear.  I am NOT part of your
US.  Period.  This type of talk here, makes the linux community out to
be just as ardent (and pig-headed) as the Mac fanboys.  Even more so
than the comment Paster JW makes.  Get a grip.  This is an OPERATING
SYSTEM.  A wonderful piece of software with a unique past and a
promising future, NOT A RELIGION.  I read sermons like this and it
seriously wants to make me vomit.  I didn't start using linux because it
soothed some part of my soul, I started using it because it was (and IS)
damn good.  Nothing more.

I certainly spend my time extolling the virtues of 'Freedom from the
Man' by using it, but only because of it's usefulness not because it
fills a void in my life.

Seriously, this US you speak of. Count me out.  I want no part of it.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support