Nvidia, Ubuntu and Old CRT Monitor

Chaman Singh Verma csv610 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:03:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:04 PM, David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com> wrote:

> Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:csv610 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:36 AM, James Tappin
> >     <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk <mailto:sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>> wrote:
> >
> >         On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:46:47 +0530
> >         "Chaman Singh Verma" <csv610 at gmail.com
> >         <mailto:csv610 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >         CSV> Hello,
> >         CSV>
> >         CSV> I tried all permutations, but somehow couldn't get Nvidia
> >         working.
> >         CSV> After booting
> >         CSV> I get a message:
> >         CSV>
> >         CSV> The GeForce 8800 GT doesn't have appropriate external
> >         cable, unless
> >         CSV> it is rectified X will not start.
> >         CSV>
> >         CSV> Now I don't understand what are the appropriate external
> >         cable. I
> >         CSV> reinstalled
> >         CSV> Ububtu 8.10 without Nvidia installed, then everything
> >         works fine. I
> >         CSV> tested with
> >         CSV> glxgears programs.
> >         CSV>
> >         CSV> I am unable to get the core of the problem, so can
> >         someone help ?
> >         CSV>
> >         CSV> csv
> >         CSV>
> >
> >         Guessing a bit here:
> >         One possibility is that the VGI cable is old and has some iffy
> >         connections in it so some signal is too low for the card to
> >         recognize
> >         (solution try another VGA cable).
> >         Another might be that the monitor doesn't send back some
> >         information
> >         that current Nvidia drivers rely one (not a lot you could do
> about
> >         that).
> >
> >         --
> >
> +------------------------+-------------------------------+---------+
> >         | James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |
> >          O__    |
> >         | sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk <mailto:sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk> |
> >         University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
> >         | Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |

> >     Hello,
> >
> >     Without loading NVidia drivers, everything works fine for me, so
> >     the issue with
> >     VGA cable not working doesn't arise. Still, I will do as u say,
> >
> >     csv
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > I changed the Monitors to flat panel ViewSonic Monitor, reinstalled
> > ubuntu 8.10,
> > used Nvidia driver 177.80, but after reboot unable to get X server
> > working. From
> > synaptic package manager, I installed nvidia-glx-177-dev package also.
> >
> > What next I should do ?
> >
> > csv
> >

> To reiterate from the previous thread, do you have onboard Intel video?
> [...]

Hello,
The result of grep nv is :

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 1.1
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) Scanning /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci directory for additional PCI ID's
supported by the drivers
(II) Matched nv from file name nv.ids
(==) Matched nv for the autoconfigured driver
(==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
(II) LoadModule: "nv"

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
(II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 4.1

csv