How to stop a cron job sending email

Johann Spies jspies at sun.ac.za
Fri Oct 31 09:48:39 UTC 2008

The same user crontabs (that run every 5 minutes) that were used on my
old computer (Debian) now  (on Ubuntu Hardy) produce an email for
every run.

Here is an example of one of them:

# m h  dom mon dow   command
0-59/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/krypos

$ cat /usr/local/bin/krypos
#!/bin/sh
killall fetchmail &> /dev/null
/usr/bin/fetchmail &> /dev/null

I have also tried

0-59/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/krypos &> /dev/null

But I still get the email every 5 minutes.

That did not happen on my old computer.

How do I stop this?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his
      benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who
      healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from
      destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and
      tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good
      things; so that thy youth is renewed like the
      eagle's."             Psalms 103:2-5