Why is HAL being made the default when it's not ready?

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Oct 31 08:54:45 UTC 2008

Ubuntu Users / Developers,

I got Intrepid Ibex 8.10 installed, and now my Wacom tablet totally
sucks. The eraser and mouse don't work, the stylus is stuck in
"absolute" mode...

I looked on the 'net and discovered that this is because Ubuntu is now
using something called "HAL" for handling all input. I'm sure there's
some good reason for doing that... but how about doing it *when it's ready*?

I tried using the instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom , but the "Manual setup using
xorg.conf" results in either X being completely hosed, or my Wacom
tablet not working at all.

Since Intrepid blew away my previous Hardy boot options (which, I didn't
really want it to do, but that's another story), I'm now stuck with a
tablet that is almost unusable.

I believe the current internet vernacular for this situation is
something like "Ubuntu HAL upgrade = FAIL".

So how long do I have to push back any graphics projects while waiting
for Wacom support to work again?

--
Dave M G