Integrity changes from other Linux

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 04:55:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>    I am getting a handle on why NVIDIA has trouble with Ubuntu
> Integrity. I tried to compile a NVIDIA module on it and it failed. This
> is what happened:

This has little to do with Ubuntu or even Nvidia. You have to have the
kernel headers package installed to be able to install the kernel.

I think using the nvidia packages that are available in ubuntu
packages is a preferable solution and it really isn't that difficult
to compile a custom driver for your machine. You just have to realize
that each time you change kernels (and Intrepid will do this) you need
to redo the install for your box. I've used packaged solutions as well
as binary blobs (having installed the latest Nvidia driver on my hardy
install, using the binary blob) and the install went pretty smoothly.

There's only one gotcha, the module fails to autoload on boot so I get
a boot to a low res graphical mode, and then I have to log to a
console and sudo insmod <path to nvidia.ko> each time before I am able
to startx. I haven't been able to figure out why that is, but just
have gotten used to doing it that way.