convert avi files to mpeg (NoOp)

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 01:39:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Cesar Augusto Suarez
<cemaaiem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>        I captured a bunch of video files in kino and placed them in
>> cinelerra. The first couple I saved as AVI. I had thought I would
>> recapture them later as mpeg and delete the avi files but this is a good
>> time to learn to use ffmpeg to convert avi to mpeg  I copied a couple of
>> commands from  web sites but was unable to get ffmeg up and running.  I
>> also tried Averdimux but it seems not to like avi files.  A little help
>> with a good tutorial might be a big help.

I've always had better luck with mencoder and tovid then ffmeg

The mencoder guide I always used was on the gentoo wiki - but when I
went to get you a link I see it's gone - they lost the database?
That's a real shame - there was lots of good stuff on the gentoo
wiki....  Mencoder isn't any more straightforward than ffmeg - I just
found those examples first and they usually worked.

tovid at http://tovid.sourceforge.net is more limited - but much more
straightforward.  If it does what you need, it's a great way to go.

HTH at least a little
Brian