Intrepid Blues

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 30 22:17:50 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/29/2008 05:22 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Chris Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I find this unlikely.
>>>
>>> I take it you are referring to the part about the "legacy" nvidia video
>>> drivers ?
>>>
>>> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
>>>
>>> You said you have a GeForce 6100 in another post ?
>>>
>>> The nvidia driver release notes
>>>
>>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/177.80/README/appendix-a.html
>>>
>>> Clearly say this is compatible with the 177 driver, so you should be
>>> just fine (Unless your CPU doesn't support SSE, which again I find
>>> unlikely unless it is *very* old).
>>>
>>> I suspect your problem is more your installation is messed up.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>>     Chris how is my installation messed up? I told the LiveCD to
>> Install. It did so. Then it said reboot. I did so. By the way I checked
>> my CD and it said it was good. So when Intrepid came up it was a 800x400
>> off center display. I have not been able to fix this.
>>
>> I think your wrong.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> These may be of interest if your driver is 177:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177
> and see:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-177/+bug/267188>
>
> For those that use the 96 driver (for instance my Quadro4 900 XGL):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96/+bug/251107>
> [there is a beta out:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122139]

    Yes there are all kinds of problems with Intrepid on this computer
but I just loaded it onto my lap-top which has a ATI video and it is
just PERFECT! I have it getting the 131 Updates for the thing and now
time for a bath.

    I have another computer case arriving from NewEgg and in it I will
build a new computer w/o NVIDIA.

I think that motherboard has ATI on it as well. And It will work too.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User