init problem with Intrepid

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 30 17:54:54 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>

>> en0f <en0f at bokey.mine.nu>  said:
>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>>>
>>> [ .. ]

>>> Gee! You don't kill off processes like that!
>>>
>>> You want -
>>> $ invoke-rc.d gdm stop
>>> or
>>> $ /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>>>
>>> as root.
>>>

>> Are there reasons?  I ask because it has always Worked For Me.
>>

> Killall seems a little abrupt, but should be safe enough, but starting via
> the /etc/init.d/ methods does a whole lot more than "sudo gdm".

    Guys this has gone on too long. The proper fix is easy and it works
on Intrepid. First come up in X windows. Then drop back with
Ctrl-Alt-F1. Then log in as a user. Now do this to stop X windows:

             $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

It will write back that the windows have been stopped.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User