how to modify pdf file on Ubuntu

Bo Grimes boslists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:46:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 07:58:10AM -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2008 9:51:28 pm Mike McMullin wrote:
> >   Why not try installing Acrobat Professional 8 under WINE?
>
> Because WINE runs windoze programs.

Like I said in my first reply: I have to read a lot of pdf files and mark
them up.  I could print them all (hundreds of pages) or I could find a
decent editor that allows me to do it. (I do a lot of research using files
that can be found oinly in PDF.)

I could, for example, use http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php They
have a lInux version, but it doesn't work under Ubuntu or Gentoo or Fedora,
the three I tried it under, and it's not very feature rich (the Linux
version).

Or,, I could run
http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer under
Wine.  It's free and it works as well as Adobe, and it runs beautifully.

Both of the above are propietary, and, therefore not optimal, so I could
pick option three, run Windows, instead.  Guess which one I'm going to pick?

Are OpenOffice, FireFox, Gimp, FreeMind, Moodle, Scribus, Pidgin, Opera,
Scribus, Audacity, Thunderbird, and Kb3 all 'windoze' programs because they
will run under Windows?

If the GNU foundation ever gets GnuPDF released, I will switch to it, but in
order to do my work adequately, inexpensively, and using tools I can easily
master (unlike a solution like http://www.linux.com/feature/113907) I will
have to stick to pdfx_viewer running under Wine.