init problem with Intrepid

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Oct 30 14:41:54 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>>     I have d/l the 173 bash file from nvidia onto Intrepid but for some
>> reason there is no way I can find to be clear out of X-Windows. I tried
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1 but the nvidia file complained that X was still running.
>>

> Ctrl-Alt-F1 is only the first step necessary. Then login and type the
> command
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
>
> to stop gdm and X. Then setup your Nvidia driver with
>
> sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux*.run
>
> where you may need to replace the filename and then restart gdm:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
>

> Nils

    Hi Nils, and all of you for your help. I will try the method you
suggest because I know how to do it :-)

    Will report back with results. What I am trying to verify is that
the problem with the nvidia GeForce 6100 might be because Intrepid does
not let me, at least load the proper nvidia driver. This will become
clear in a few minutes, I hope.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI