Ubuntu download

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Thu Oct 30 13:39:38 UTC 2008

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:45:34 GMT
>From: "justdon at juno.com" <justdon at juno.com>
>Subject: Re: Ubunto download
>To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
>my question is I am looking to replace Windows XP permanently, my wife
has several games she bought that we have installed on our system and I am
running Microsoft >Money, any way to support these while running ubuntu?
thanks,  don

There are different ways to go about this.  You can install wine in
ubuntu, install Virtualbox to run a virtual machine if your hardware
supports it, or make a dual-boot machine.  The way to go depends on what
you want to run.
On the wine webpage, it says that ms Money 2007 works very well
(http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5691). There
is only one review with a recent version of wine, so if you do not have
Money 2007, you might want to google to see if this is fixed for previous
versions.  I would guess that it is, but I don't use Money so don't take
my word for it :)
If you have a recent computer, it probably supports virtualization.  That
way you can install XP and fire it up when you need it.
If you are playing high-end games, you will not get them to work on
anything but windows.  The game creators ignore every other operating
system and the way they code the  graphics makes it very hard to get
working.  I personally have a dual-boot just to play games like The Elder
Scrolls: Oblivion.  then you would want to make your computer a dual-boot.
 I recommend getting another hard drive to make things easier but that is
in no way a requirement.
We would need some more specifics on what you would be using it for to
help you make a better choice.  What games would be played, what hardware
do you have, etc.
For everything else, you will have no problems using Ubuntu (or Kubuntu)
for your everyday use.  I go to college online and I can do everything
using my Kubuntu.  You may also want to consider using a different
desktop.  Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop by default which has good
functionality and looks more Mac-like, but may not be the best looking to
your taste.  Kubuntu is the very same ubuntu kernel but uses the KDE
desktop, which also has high-functionality and looks more Windows-like. It
also is much prettier.  See, one of the good things about linux is that
you have a choice!
Hope this helps.

Alan

This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.