Problems with Updates

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 29 23:29:56 UTC 2008

On 10/29/2008 02:37 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:19:56 -0700, NoOp wrote:
[snip]

>> I assume you've used Google?
>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2B%22Dell
> +Inspiron+1525%22+%2Bsound&btnG=Search>
>>
>> Perhaps:
>> <http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/
> No_Sound_After_Distribution_Upgrade>
>
> I looked at these but they don't apply.  This system has been running
> Hardy and working fine.  It was an update to Hardy that broke things.
> I'm actually thinking of doing a reinstall and doing updates
> selectively.  Everything worked fine for a good while.

But did you ask on the forums that deal specifically with Dell? Not
trying to fob you off, but generally you'll have better luck if you ask
in a community/forum of users with like machines etc.

If you look in Synaptic (File|History) and can recall when it was last
working, you may be able to pin down what caused the breakage.