[OT] documents for the general public need to be generally readable

Wed Oct 29 15:03:11 UTC 2008

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20081029 0948 GMT-6
>
> This is a small rant of mine.
>
> My son is in orchestra and his teacher sent out a file in a Microsoft
> docx format to ALL of the students in the music department. What upsets
> me about this is, first, to assume that all parents are using the latest
> Microsoft Office much less Microsoft Windows is ignorant. A great many
> of the music students use Mac and therefore may or may not use Office.
> And this says nothing of all of us who use something else. Second, if it
> is for the students of a public school system then it needs to be
> something that is generic enough to be opened by someone with any type
> of system.

I don't think it'd be unfair for you to ask for the school to either
provide the document in a readable format, or a reader for the document
in its present format on your system.

Of course, this raises the question of whether it's fair for the school
to even assume you've got any PC at all.

--
Avi Greenbury :) http://aviswebsite.co.uk