Problems with Updates

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 29 00:47:01 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 20:48 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> That's not relevant to the cited "meme".  It doesn't run a DHCP server -
>> it runs clients that talk to the network.
>
> With DHCP, even the client opens a port.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-July/019171.html

Of course - _every_ client opens a port.  There isn't a huge difference
network-wise between a client and a server - there's a port on either end,
which is why I'm suggesting that it's not so much the argument that Ubuntu
doesn't run network daemons by default that's relevant.  The only computer
that's completely safe from network attack is one that isn't connected to
the network (one of the many things that the new Battlestar Galactica did
absolutely right!)
--
derek