Help needed in installing Nvidia on Ubuntu

Chaman Singh Verma csv610 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 04:04:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM, David Curtis <dcurtis at uniserve.com> wrote:

> Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am not sure about whether it is the right platform to ask question
> > on installing Nvidia on Ubuntu 8.10, but since there are many talented
> > gurus
> > and good support, I am taking this opportunity.
> >
> > I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 and have Nvidia 8800 GT card. Motherboard
> > is Intel DG31PR. When I reboot the machine, it says that the GeForce
> > 8800 GT doesn't have appropriate external cables and unless we rectify
> > this problem, X will not start.
> >
> > I don't know what is appropriate external cable is ? I have Old CRT
> > monitor
> > and one adapter came along with the Nvidia package.
> >
> > There was one option to run the graphics in low-grade mode, when I tried
> > to use that, it says GLX not found and double buffer is not available.
> >
> > Can someone give some directions to resolve these problems ?
> >
> > csv
> >
> Hello Chaman,
>
> Yes, this is a good place for Nvidia on 8.10.
>
> Does your motherboard have on board video as per Intel's website [0]? If
> so, are you having an xorg configuration problem vis-a-vis intel video
> verses nv/nvidia? Have you tried to solve this problem? If so, what
> steps did you take?
>
> Where are you connecting the monitor? Onboard video, if it exists?  Or
> one of the two Nvidia DVI sockets (with adapter)[1], which one?
>
> What is the make/model of the monitor? Are you sure there are no issues
> regarding it's age and compatability with DVI (and adapter)?
>
> Are you capable of viewing the /var/log/xorg.0.log file to find out
> which server xorg starts? I'm pretty sure xorg, without manual
> configuration, will only start one. But I maybe wrong as I have never
> tried dual card xorg.
>
> Not exactly directions to resolving your problems, and huge apologies
> for sounding like a windows trouble shooting script, but if you can
> answer the above, we're off to a good start. And maybe others might
> chime in.
>
> Dave.
>
> P.S.  Also good to note, the GeForce 8800 GT requires at least the 173
> restricted 'driver' version [2]. But more likely the 177.80 version,
> unfortunately the link 404s.
>
> [0]
>
> http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/DG31PR/DG31PR-overview.htm
>
> [1] http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800gt.html
>
> [2]
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/appendix-a.html

Hello Dave,

Thanks for helping me on this issue, but you have raised some difficult
questions, For examples:  You have asked:

"What is the make/model of the monitor? Are you sure there are no issues
regarding it's age and compatability with DVI (and adapter)?"

The monitor is SAMSUNG, SyncMaster 753s. But how to know about the
compatibility issue ?

The motherboard is Intel DG31PR, which is the latest one supplied by the
vendor and I am using NVidia Socket DVI-1 ( Close to the TV output ).

I tried both (1) Version 177 from the Ubuntu (2) Downloaded directly drivers
from NVidia Site ( which showed as 177.80).

I am extremely keen in using NVidia and Cuda Programming. So I will greatly
appreciate if some NVidia Guru can help me in installing the card.

With regards.
csv