Removing startup scripts

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 22:29:19 UTC 2008

I poked around in /etc/rc5.d/ and saw that I had a few processes that
were loading that I didn't need.  For example kvm was loading and I use
Virtual Box.  So I figured I could remove some of the things I didn't
need.  I did an apt-get remove kvm.  I haven't rebooted yet but I still
see "S20kvm" in /etc/rc5.d/.  Is it safe to just remove these scripts?
Is there an easy way to remove them from all run levels?  Shouldn't
removing a package remove the associated init script?

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.