Problems with Updates

Kennneth P. Turvey kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com
Tue Oct 28 21:55:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:44:58 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey
> <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
>> In the last couple of months, automatic updates from Ubuntu have broken
>> sound and XV extensions for X11 on my system.  I think that in the
>> future once I have my system working correctly, I'm just going to
>> neglect the updates, all of them, including security updates.
>>
>> What is the biggest risk associated with this on a laptop computer?  I
>> just don't think security updates are going to be that big a problem
>> for me.
>
> Well, someone breaks into your computer, does something illegal and the
> cops show up at your door with the TV cameras in tow....
>
> If it was in fact an update that broke your system,
>
>  <sidebar>I say if because that's rare, they are bug fixes not 'new
> software' and are deliberately designed NOT to break things - that's why
> you don't get new versions of applications after they are released.
> It's possible of course.  Do you have a bug report of the issue?  or
> some info to help us help you track down what's going on?</sidebar>
>
> figure out which update caused you and issue - and pin THAT PACKAGE to
> the old version.  Problem solved, and your security intact....
>
> Brian

How do I find out which updates were applied when on my system?  Maybe I
could narrow it down?

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>

  Over grown military establishments are under any form of government
  inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly
  hostile to republican liberty.  -- George Washington