OT: printer support [was: Re: Should I add this Repo?]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 00:21:18 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 10/27/08, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> From: Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: OT: printer support [was: Re: Should I add this Repo?]
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, October 27, 2008, 4:21 PM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Obviously we disagree and you seem to be ignoring the
> fact that my printer is brand new and the drivers are not
> downstream yet. True, HP has the drivers in most distros if
> not all but I wouldn't spend my money for one of their
> low printing quality, high priced, ink grubbing printers.
> I'd stay with Epson before that. I did read all your
> reasons listed below and on your previous posts and think
> you might be doing Brother a discredit. Personally, I was
> very pleased that I was able to install my printer from
> Brother's site when the new drivers were not downstream
> yet. I still call that great support even with the
> --force-architecture.
>
> The point you seem to miss is that we are not discussing
> the quality of
> the driver here. However excellent it may be, or how  ever
> new the
> hardware is (the fact is isn't yet upstream is not an
> excuse), it
> doesn't excuse creating a package that requires the use
> of --forceXXX to
> install. I agree with Mario that this should *never* really
> be necessary.
>
> Given that the 32 bit version works fine, it really would
> not be any
> effort at all to create a '64 bit version'
> containing the same binaries,
> that installs without the force option.
>
> Chris

Well, I certainly seem to be  outnumbered here but do concede your point that there is some danger in using the force option on dpkg; after all the warnings are clear and I was aware of it after the first posting of it.  However, and this is my last, the fact that the force option is listed for dpkg suggests at least that there is a place and need for it. Why else would the option be there? If you wish to comment please do, I'll read it but not extend this OT thread any further.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net