one computer two ip address

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 27 21:44:24 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> as a part of maintaining a computer both on a intra network(10th net) and
> also a bigger lan network can we assign the same pc two different ips. if so
> how is it possible
>
> will the etc/network/interfaces file play any role in this transition
>
> don

Do virtual interfaces.

i.e  (ifconfig eth0:1 <ip> netmask <> )  To set that up in the
interfaces file, it's identical to the normal interface file, just the
interface name will be different (eth0:1 instead of eth0).

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support