Can't Upgrade to Newer Kernels

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Oct 27 16:47:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:34 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an HP 2133 using 2.6.24-21-generic kernel.
> > When I use synaptic or apt-get dist-upgrade, it never finds any newer
> > kernels. How can I fix this?
>
> 2.6.24-21-generic is the latest kernel for 8.04 - what did you expect to
> find?
>

> Nils

I saw references to newer kernels. Also, if I search for "kernel" in
synaptic or the additions/removal, nothing shows up not even the current
kernel. So it seemed to me there might be some problem with how I have
things set up or how I'm using synaptic. I'm new to Ubuntu.

I decided to switch the HP 2133 to Ubuntu from Fedora 8 (no sound,
Fedora 9 no LCD video of any kind). The only other problem I'm having is
no external VGA. I haven't tried to install the new VIA linux chrome
driver because it seems to be very involved. The new Broadcom 4312 and
related driver works great.

Rick B.