USB flash drive not detected on guest ubuntu OS on VBox

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Oct 27 07:30:36 UTC 2008

Nay Myo Win wrote:
> i m running XP and my Ubuntu hardy is on VBOX.
> i can't use Flash drive on guest hardy.

Which VirtualBox version do you use? The GPL version coming with Ubuntu
doesn't have USB support, you need the PUEL version instead. You can
download it from www.virtualbox.org. And you need the usbfs entry
in /etc/fstab which looks like this:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0

Replace the 1002 with the group ID for vboxusers on your machine. You
could use this command in a terminal to make the entry if you don't want
to look up the vboxusers GID:

echo "none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=$(grep '^vboxusers' /etc/group|
cut -d: -f3),devmode=664 0 0"|sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

Then enter the command

sudo mount -a

and restart VirtualBox. Before you assign the USB device to the guest you
should umount it at the host because the host can no longer see it.

Nils