Should I add this Repo?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 27 03:08:45 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Should I add this Repo?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 5:33 PM
> 2008/10/26 Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>:
> > On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 17:23 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Mixing Debian REPOS is a very bad idea, but Debian
> packages, so long
> >> as they install, are fine so far as I understand.
> >
> > OK, if they install you have a reasonable chance that
> they work. No
> > guarantee, though. However, I have seen too often that
> packages refused
> > to install and people used dpkg --force-things and
> similar to male them
> > install, and this can screw the APT DB even if it is
> just a single
> > package.
> >

> Even within Ubuntu packages --force should not be applied
> unless the
> user _knows_ what he is doing.

Brother reqauires you to use the --force option in order to install their printer drivers on Linux/Ubuntu. They have the best Linux/Ubuntu support and I don't think they would tell you to do something that would break anything. Their drivers wont install on a 64 bit Linux system because they a 32 bit and require to install their plugin  wrapper also. I'm not talking about installing a pure Debian deb file on a Ubuntu system, not that I think anything is inherently wrong with that, but am talking about installing a 32 bit driver to get it to work on a 64 bit system. So the option can't be all that bad when it is absolutely required to make my printer work on Hardy 64 bit. FWIW, no intended slur and my APT is working just fine and up-to-date.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net