Ubuntu upgrading technique [Was: Re: Partition-conclusions]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 26 16:25:33 UTC 2008

--- On Sun, 10/26/08, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> From: Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu upgrading technique [Was: Re: Partition-conclusions]
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 2:25 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > How can you be a simple farm lad when farming is a job
> requ iring the
> > expertize of a Chemical Engineer.  You have to add
> fertilizer, you need
> > to know how much, the soil pH has to be just right for
> the fertilizer
> > to work, etc, etc.
>
> Really? Then how could farmers survive thousands of years
> ago when
> chemical engineers did not yet exist?

They found and used naturally fertile soil and moved on when it was depleted of necessary nutrients or they stayed and used whatever they could grow and declined in health and depleted their population.
There is some thought among scientist that the ancient populations in south America went extinct in that manner(Dont't remember their names). Today most people who farm(hay or any grown crop) have Agricultural Degrees of some sort or rely or advice from their local agricultural extension agent(In the USA). It is much more involved than just maintaining the proper soil pH and the required amount of soluble Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium in the soil.
Maybe we should apologize  to the list for this OT rant but you did ask.-:)

Len