customizing ubuntu desktops for a group of users

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 26 15:02:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:42:49 -0700, Kumar Goswami wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Ubuntu and would really appreciate it if any of you can point
> me to ways to automatically customize a ubuntu desktop based on login.
>
> With unix, when you login in you can mount /usr/myaccount and in it are
> all the startup scripts that make the machine mine and point me to my
> home file system.
>
> With windows, you can do something similar with roaming profiles that
> are stored in Active Directory.
>
> How can I do this witih Ubuntu?  When a user logs in, I'd like to
> automatically connect them to their home disk (which may be served by a
> network storage server) and bring up their desktop look and feel (if
> they had changed things the last time they were in those changes should
> show up at this login).
>
> Thanks,
> Kumar

Don't know if I understand your question well, but here goes:
with all Linuxes I know the standard home directory of a user is
/home/[username] . The personal configuration files off a user are in the
hidden files (those with a dot before the filename) in that directory. If
a user is added to the system in the official way (which may differ for
different distributions) this directory is made and whatever is in
/etc/skel/ is copied to it.

Many users prefer /home on a separate partition, but it could be on a NFS
mounted partition on a server.

When you have a great number of users you might want to use a number of
servers, for instance, my ISP uses /home/[letter]/username where [letter]
is the first letter of the username. Each /home/[letter] is a separate
disk (afaik) which is automatically mounted when the user logs in. So,
such a set-up is possible, but you will have to write your own scripts
when you want such a thing.

Aart