Problem with router

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Oct 26 08:02:25 UTC 2008

Pat wrote:
> I have a wireless Belkin router that I just purchased last Saturday. It
> is the second wireless router I've had in a few months. The first one
> was a TP-LINK. Both work fine for a while then quit. The router appears
> to connect, I get an IP address through DHCP and I can ping outside
> sites, but I can't get online.

If you can ping outside sites you _are_ online. Or what is your definition
of "online"? And BTW: How do you ping outside sites? Using host names or
IP addresses?

> This happens even if I make a direct
> connection with a cable. If I take my laptop to another wireless
> connection site I can get on no problem so it seems to me the issue
> must be with my router. But this has happened to 2 different routers.
> When I connect to the router itself it says it is online. So why is my
> connection not getting through.

Maybe you have several default routes where only one is working. Please
let us know the output of the command

route -n

in a terminal. And please tell us what Ubuntu version you are using.

Nils