Ubuntu upgrading technique [Was: Re: Partition-conclusions]

Erik Christiansen dvalin at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 26 02:29:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:33:53PM -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> I do agree with you that starting with a fresh install on a new
> partition is better than an dist-upgrade even doing it the ubuntu way.
> For a person with the necessary disk space, I would recommend it.

Yes, there's a distinct advantage in that method. The older distro,
and specially installed applications remain, for quick fall-back if
needed in less time than a source build in the new distro, if that's
what it takes. It's usually several weeks before I have a new distro set
up to be as comfortable and usable as the old one.

Beside my newish 7.10 install, I have 6.10, available not only through
rebooting, but mounted as /mnt/old_<hostname>, for convenience in
confirming configuration options, and copying stuff across.

It's questionable whether I'd ever consider relying on a dist-upgrade,
given that not all my applications are added via packages.

Erik

--
Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you.
Their tastes may not be the same.