Partition problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Oct 25 15:26:11 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>

>> AFAICT fdisk can only create and delete partitions (and do other stuff
>> that does not apply here):
>>

> Well, yes, and so long as you don't have to move data around to shrink a
> partition, that's exactly what 'growing' a parition does.  you erase the
> old partition, and write a new one with the new start/end values.
>
> You 'could', technically do this with fdisk, in the same sense that I
> could, if I really wanted to, shave my neck with my good/sharp butcher
> knife.

    Love the analogy. I recall now that parted and gparted are both
based on fdisk. But both do not have the capability to write a new hard
drive dos instruction set in ram, and then write it to the hard drive.
This is where you can ruin a hard drive, or do what I need to do to
regain 100 gb of my hard drive.

    It is VERY dangerous!

Karl

--