Network manager not working with manual settings

Lorenzo Taylor daxlinux at
Fri Oct 24 18:28:35 UTC 2008

This problem has survived several updates, so is either an unknown bug or I'm
doing something wrong, although I can't figure out what.

I have a second Ethernet port on my system that I am trying to set manually via
the network manager so that I can connect a second computer via a crossover
cable. I want to give it the IP address and netmask
However, once I click OK it adds the gateway and changes the netmask to
21, which of course is invalid and causes the port to remain nonfunctional.
Ifconfig shows no address information at all for this port other than the mac
address. Also, the command

sudo ifconfig eth1 netmask

works correctly and causes the port to become functional. Should I be entering
something differently in network manager or is this a known bug that hasn't been
fixed yet? Could it be an as yet unreported bug?

Thanks for any help,
  Great Goddess Isis,
Thou who art above the stars,
  Grant us peace and love.