Upgrade to 8.04 and now Xgl is using 95% of CPU

Abhinav Gupta abhinav.g90 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:07:36 UTC 2008

I checked the install instructions for Intrepid Ibex on
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Intrepid_Installation_Guide
They are pretty much the same. Even the package is built using the same
options.
This method actually results in a deb file which can be uninstalled anytime.
So you need not worry.
And the same deb file is used for Intrepid too.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you also have to blacklist fglrx after
uninstalling it.
Do that by opening /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common as root in
your favorite text-editor and adding fglrx to the DISABLED_MODULES. Eg:
DISABLED_MODULES="fglrx". If its not empty then the add it to the same
property separated by a space. Eg: DISABLED_MODULES="ath_hal fc fglrx ltm
nv". And the driver version 8.10 is out. So if you intend to use the script,
you may call the following command instead.
sudo ati-installer 8.10 -xgl

Abhinav Gupta