Issue with Update Manager

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Oct 24 06:44:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 14:16 -0700, hippie dream wrote:
> Mario,
>
> Thank so much for your help.

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help

> [snipped success messages]

> "Ok, on the the next one, Wine. As mentioned, I do not recommend to use
> it. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine"
>
> I am a bit confused here. You don't recommend using Wine or you don't
> recommend using the non-supported version of wine? I am a bit fuzzy on the
> distinction.

I meant that I do not recommend the repo from budgetdedicated.com, which
contains the wine versions directly from winehq. Using those was once
recommended because the Wine package in Ubuntu was not that
well-maintained and a bit outdated, etc. However, these times are gone
and the Ubuntu package is very good now.

Therefore, I would recommend to use the Ubuntu package. To quote the
support page [1], "If you are using 8.04 (Hardy), WineHQ provides the
newest development versions of Wine packaged for Ubuntu using their own
third-party APT repository. To use these, you need to add the WineHQ
repository and then install Wine with Synaptic. For help on adding
repositories, see the Repositories page.

Note, however, that these are development packages (ie alpha software),
and may suffer from regressions and other problems not present in the
stable Wine included with Hardy. You should avoid using them unless the
current stable version of Wine does not work for the application you
wish to use."

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine#Newer%20versions%20of%20Wine%
20(Not%20Recommended)

>  I usually install packages using the GUI and that is what I
> thought I did with wine.

But you must have added the budgetdedicated.com repo manually

> Anyways, I have enabled the repo
> http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/ hardy main as opposed to WINEHQ -

budgetdedicated.com simply hosts the packages for the wine project,
which is located at winehq.org

> Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron". Not sure what the difference is here but with
> this configuration, I no longer receive those partial upgarde error
> messages.

I would simply remove this repo and be done with it. The "wine" package
are simply included in the Ubuntu universe repo, "deb
http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe". No need for
anything else.

> Anyways, I think I am good now and this problem is solved. Thanks for this.
> I'll refer to this if the problem crops up again before posting to the list.

Goog luck :)