Audio on DVD not working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 23 23:07:45 UTC 2008

On 10/23/2008 01:30 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> 20081023 1526 GMT-6
>
> I've been working on getting video to work on my computer for some weeks
> now but Im not getting any results.
>
> Today I received 15 dvd's to review for work and Im having a horrific
> time getting anything to work.
>
> So far VLC is the only player that will open the disk and play anything
> - but its not reliable. Sometimes it'll play - sometimes it wont. But
> even when it does, there is no audio.
>
> I tried each of the audio settings on audio modules but none of them
> help with any sound.
>
> I would greatly appreciate some help.
>
> wade

Do you have audio working on any other DVD or music CD?

Quite often we (TINW) end up installing just about every sound/video
player in the repositories; Totem, Mplayer, VLC, RealMedia, etc., etc.
Sometimes, more often than not, one of those conflict with the other and
the overall result is a mess trying to figure out what the problem is.

I've found in some cases it is just easier to back up your associated
config files (just in case) purge (completely remove 'remove --purge')
everything (VLC, Mplayer, et al) and then reinstall them one at a
time... testing each one along the way.

I prepared a system for a friend & installed the usual VLC, Mplayer, and
a few more thinking "I have these on my systems, they work, so she'll
probably want them to". In the end I had to uninstall and just go with
Totem (Movie Player - the Ubuntu default) + relevent codecs on her
machine. After that the machine rocked w/regard to music & sound.

Don't get me wrong; I quite like VLC (I prefer SMPlayer/Mplayer) and
have it installed & use it, I'm just saying that sometimes by installing
& experimenting too much you can end up screwing up the system
(video/audio). They may change mime types in config files, mime types in
browsers, etc. You then install the next one and that one changes the
mime types, configs, etc.

That said; you don't give anyone much to go on... please provide some
details on what you have installed & tried (including codecs & audio
details).