Audio on DVD not working

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Thu Oct 23 22:45:10 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/23/2008 01:41 PM, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> I tried each of the audio settings on audio modules but none of them
>>> help with any sound.
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate some help.
>>>
>>> wade
>>>

>> Have you tried goggles?  Where I"ve had trouble with VLC at times,
>> Goggles has never given me trouble.
>>

> $ sudo apt-get install googles
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package googles
>
> Sorry... couldn't resist.

20081023 1739 GMT-6

:D

I got side tracked after I sent my email and just a while ago I found
the problem.

System > Preferences > Sound -> Everything is set to Autodetect.
That isnt what it used to be on my system before the upgrade.
I found my sound card (Intel 82801DB-ICH4) on the list and then things
started to work. I did it on each (sound events, music and movies, audio
conferencing) and everything started to work. Then I clicked close.
Within a few minutes, after checking email and talking on the phone, I
had no sound again. So out of curosity, I went back and all the sections
were back to Autodetect... so I changed them again. This time I clicked
Test next to each one and then clicked close. I still have sound after 1
hour - so that is great! But it is very odd that I have to push Test to
lock that selection in.

I havent tried googles/Goggles yet ( :) ) but I might.

Wade