Issue with Update Manager

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Oct 23 17:36:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 09:52 -0700, hippie dream wrote:

> "Please attach the file /etc/apt/sources.list."
>
> Here it is:

Thanks. On second review, the aptitude output you provided yesterday
does not look all that bad. I was a bit confused :)
Same for my comment at the bottom of my reply regarding the packages
that are unused and will be removed. That seems to be fine, too.

> # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/ hardy
> main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
>
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> ## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
> ## team.
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy universe
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates universe
>
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
> ## security team.
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy multiverse
> deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
> deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates multiverse
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
> ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> # deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main restricted
> universe multiverse
> # deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
> ## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
> ## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
> [...]

It's all fine up to here.

> deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt hardy main
> deb http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/
> deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras

For purposes of fixing your current problem, I would suggest to
temporarily disable these. You can do so from the GUI in Administration
> Software Sources, or by commenting out these lines in sources.list,
whatever you choose.
I would consider it likely that there is some conflict caused by one of
these third-party repos, maybe some of them are not fully up-to-date
with respect to the newest version of packages they need from ubuntu.

After that, run "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade"
again, as yesterday (I just replaced the deprecated "upgrade" with the
new "safe-upgrade" command.)

What happens now? Please try and post the output you get. Does the
kernel update go through now?

If not, you can try "aptitude full-upgrade" instead of "safe-upgrade".
full-upgrade will try harder to resolve dependencies, including the
option of removing other packages to resolve conflicts (which
safe-upgrade never does). Therefore, you need to pay attention before
confirming, to be sure that nothing critical gets removed (which is very
unlikely in a stable distribution release, though).

If that goes fine, re-enable the third-party repositories one by one.
Run "aptitude update" every time.

Start with the R-Project repo:

> "You don't have a key for this repo. I haven't checked yet what repo this
> is (or where its key would be). Maybe you know why you included it?"
>
> This repo is for the statistical program R. It is fairly critical for me to
> use on a regular basis. I also a bit concerned that I am not able to update
> the General Linux Kernel. Have I done something that would mess up this
> process? Anyways, I work on fixing the repo stuff. Thanks a lot for your
> help.

You probably haven't done anything that cannot be fixed, don't worry :)

I checked the R site at http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/
Please refer to the instructions at
http://cran.stat.sfu.ca/bin/linux/ubuntu/ which will tell you how to add
the key for the repository:
"SECURE APT
The Ubuntu archives on CRAN are signed with the key of "Vincent Goulet
<vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca>" with key ID E2A11821. You can fetch this
key with

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key E2A11821

and then feed it to apt-key with

gpg -a --export E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add -"

Add the key, re-enable the repo, and run the aptitude command again
(update and safe-upgrade, possibly also full-upgrade afterwards). Does
it upgrade r-base-core and r-base-dev now? If not, what is the output?

Ok, if that was successful, let's move on to the wicd repo, http://apt.wicd.net/

First, add the key. It is located at http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg
(linked from the main page). Download this file and add the key by using
the Authentication tab in Software Sources as I described in an earlier
reply (yesterday?)

Enable the repository and run the aptitude commands yet again. Results?

Ok, on the the next one, Wine. As mentioned, I do not recommend to use
it. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

If you need it for some reason, add the key:
"Adding the WineHQ APT Repository:
First, open a terminal window (Applications->Accessories->Terminal). On
Debian, you will need to open a root terminal. Then add the repository's
key to your system's list of trusted APT keys by copy and pasting the
following:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo
apt-key add -" (see http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb)

Enable the repo and repeat the aptitude drill from above. Are we good
now?

> "In general I am not too happy with such a reply."
>
> I understand that. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Not a huge problem, it's just that it can make it slower to help if
important info was missing (but it was fine in this case). Thanks for
considering.

I'm looking forward to your results :)