help

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Oct 23 13:28:39 UTC 2008

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM, FRANK SHARROW
> <atexasattitude at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > i can't log on as i have
> > forgotten my user name and password can you help me??????
>
> I believe from there we will be automatically logon, and we can use
> command: id Then we can change the password: sudo passwd

Close but not exactly right. Choose recovery mode from the grub menu and
then drop to a root shell. In a root shell you don't need sudo.

With the command

ls /home

you can see your home directory which usually is the login name as well.
Then use the command

passwd frank

where you replace "frank" if you have a different login name. Then you
enter a new password for user frank. Finally you can logout and resume
the boot process.

Nils