static wireless network

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 17:46:38 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> John Hubbard wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up a machine with a static ip address.   I have other
>> examples of how to set up static ip addresses and know what needs to go
>> into the /etc/network/interfaces file.  The part that I am fuzzy on is
>> how to bring up the connection up at boot.  The wireless network is
>> secure.  I know how to configure the connection with the 'iwconfig'
>> command but I am not sure where to put a script that sets it up.  So the
>> question is where do I put the command to configure the wireless, and do
>> I just set up /etc/network/interfaces like I would for a static wired ip
>> address?
>> Just in case it matters that wireless adapter is a RTL-8185.  It was
>> properly detected by a fresh install of mythbuntu 8.10 beta.
>>

> Edit the wireless interface (mine is wlan0, but yours might be
> different) and add (or edit) ONBOOT=YES.
In /etc/network/interfaces? I have found a lot of references to ifcfg-*
but I can't find those files anywhere. Do Debian based system use them?
> That /should/ bring up the
> interface on boot.

But where do I add the line about what the wireless key is? Or is that
automagically saved for me?

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.