Input/Output error

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Tue Oct 21 21:18:34 UTC 2008

Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have got a USB connected drive which crashed recently. I can still mount its
> partitions, but for certain directories and files, I get an Input/Output error.
> How can I diagnose this further and what action should I unertake to clean up
> the disk.
>
> Tx/Alain

with USB unless you have gone out of your way to write another file
system over the one you have then your friend is a little tool called

dosfsck

as long as it is not mounted

dosfsck /dev/sd.....

you change the dots for real life partition things

warning backup the rest of the key first - if it breaks you get to keep
all the pieces :-/

Regards,
Paul O'Malley