Ubuntu 8.04.01 Live CD hangs up.

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 19:00:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Jonathan Hartzell <lexicom at flash.net> wrote:
> I've been looking forward to stepping up to Ubuntu from XP Pro SP3... (XP
> has served me well and stably for years now, but I'm definitely drawn to the
> overall philosophy and enthusiasm of the Linux community spirit and goals).
>
> I downloaded the Live CD yesterday, taking the best care I could, verifying
> a checksum match on the ISO image, burning the CD at anly 4X speed, then
> verifying the resulting CD integrity.
>
> I then booted with the CD, and selected the "Try Ubuntu" (the option that
> doesn't yet make system changes).  The "Loading Linux Kernal" progress
> indicator finished at 100%, then the Ubuntu logo appeared along with an
> activity indicator featuring a yellow-orange rectangle sweeping back and
> forth.  PROBLEM: The activity stopped within about 1 minute.  Nothing
> happened after that.  Several subsequent attempts with same result.
>
> QUESTION:  Do I suck as a newbee?  Or is this a problem others have had to
> deal with, too?  4 gigs RAM, and Intel Dual Core processor 2.2 GHz.

Hi there - it always sucks when your media fails to boot.

Things to try:
1. When activity stops, press CTRL-ALT-F1 and see if there is an error
reported.  Try CTRL-ALT-F2, CTRL-ALT-F3, and so on.  When you get to
CTRL-ALT-F7 you should see the progress bar again.  I'd go all the way
to F9 looking for something like a fatal error message (sorry - I
don't remember exactly which of those screens might show an error).

2. Maybe a Knoppix CD would be useful for testing.  Knoppix is a
live-cd based linux, and can be downloaded here:
http://www.knoppix.net/get.php
If Knoppix won't boot either, it might be report more about the
problem - and it's probably going to be hardware-related.  If Knoppix
boots OK, then there is an ubuntu-specific problem somewhere.

3. Try the Ubuntu 8.10 beta CD?  I have not upgraded yet, so I can't
give a recommendation to install it, but if the 8.10 CD boots OK, then
there was a bug somewhere in the 8.04 CD that has already been fixed.
The official release of 8.10 should happen in 9 days.  The beta CD can
be found here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/beta

Good luck!
Chris