How to Empty Trash if files in there are owned by Root?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Oct 21 17:01:46 UTC 2008

Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I guess I am not making my self clear. One more try.

Well, reading your previous post again I think you were making yourself
clear but somehow I missed your point :)

> Looking in Gnome the Trash says there are 5 directories
>
> Specifically:
> geda-gattrib-1.4.1
> geda-gnetlist-1.4.1
> gedaq-gschem-1.4.1
> geda-gsymcheck-1.4.1
> geda-utils-1.4.1
>
> I can not delete them because there is a directory under these
> directories that is owned by root. The obvious answer is to go into the
> directory and do what you say.

> kip at red:~/.local/share/Trash $ ls -l -a
> total 72
> drwxr-xr-x 4 kip kip     152 2008-10-21 09:11 .
> drwxr-xr-x 9 kip users   240 2008-10-21 07:01 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 2 kip kip      48 2008-10-21 09:16 files
> drwx------ 2 kip kip      48 2008-10-21 09:16 info
> -rw-r--r-- 1 kip kip   72499 2008-10-16 17:29 Screenshot-Trash-File
> Browser.png

I suppose the problem is that Gnome used information stored elsewhere to
show the directories you can't find with the terminal. If your "ls -a"
command doesn't show the files they really are not at the expected
location. Reading the reply of NoOp I suppose the files are more likely
in "~/.local/share/Trash/info". But as I don't use Gnome I can't verify
how the trash works there. Then you should see the files with a command
like this:

ls -lA ~/.local/share/Trash/info/geda-*

Anyway, I think you should use the approach NoOp described and delete the
files with nautilus as root.

Nils