How to Empty Trash if files in there are owned by Root?

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Tue Oct 21 14:31:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 08:15 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 08:19 -0200, Diogo Böhm wrote:
> > 2008/10/21 Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com>
> >         What should be the directory structure under ~/.local/share/?
> >         Is there an easy way to fix this?
> >

> > diogo at diogo-laptop:~/.local/share$ ls -l
> > total 2
> > drwx------  3 diogo diogo 424 2008-10-16 08:10 applications
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 diogo diogo 624 2008-09-18 15:10 desktop-directories
> > drwxr-xr-x  3 diogo diogo 984 2008-09-18 15:10 icons
> > drwxr-xr-x 11 diogo diogo 264 2008-04-22 23:58 locale
> > drwx------  6 diogo diogo 320 2008-10-16 08:10 mime
> > drwxr-xr-x  3 diogo diogo 144 2008-09-29 16:32 tracker
> > drwx------  4 diogo diogo  96 2008-04-26 16:56 Trash
> >
> > This is mine.
> >
> > I would take the directories visually out of the trash inside a new
> > folder, and then use "sudo rm -r folder" to root-delete the files.
>
> I open up the trash folder in Gnome and when I try to cut and paste to
> another directory I get permission denied.
>
> I can not delete them in the Gnome Trash folder, again permission
> denied.
>
> I can not see them in the ~/.local/share/Trash/files folder. It is
> empty.
>
> What to do?
>
> Kip

After some more playing looking at the Trash in Gnome, I found the
directories had a subdirectory called src and src had a hidden directory
called .dep which is owned by root. The permissions are drwxr-xr-x.
Since it is owned by root I do not know how to delete it from Gnome, and
I can not find it with the terminal or search.

One of the files in the trash folder
geda-gnetlist-1.4.1/src/.deps/globals.Po
So I search, using Places->Search for Files menu item, for globals.Po in
my home directory and in the file system and there is no match.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."