Still trying to get to 1680x1050 WAS: Upgrade to 8.04 stuck in 800x600

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Oct 20 17:49:50 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/19/2008 11:00 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>>> NoOp wrote:
>>>
> [snip]

>>>   I'll try this tomorrow -- right now I'm too bleary eyed and tired of
>>> rebooting :)
>>>

>>    Back at it today....I have managed to get the LCD's native resolution
>> 1680x1050 available...but the task bar slips below the bottom and I have
>> to mouse down to force it back up. Simply put the screen at 1680x1050 is
>> too big for the monitor. How do I get around this ???
>>

> That sounds like the mode is running at the wrong frequency. Now that
> you have it available, try changing the frequency in
> System|Pref...|Screen Resolution.

    I think what this user wants is not a usual setting for Resolution.
Just to say it, if the computer can't read the resolution(s) in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf it will just revert to a 800x600 which while a pain,
allows you to re-write xorg.conf :-)

    I have a plain old LCD 17 inch monitor. When I loaded 8.04 it had a
poor image on this screen. But then Ubuntu suggested I get the
non-Ubuntu nVidia driver software which I got and it works fine! I have
a 1280x1024 with a 50HZ vertical which was selected by the software. It
has been fine for many months.

    You seem to have a need for a unusual resolution. It may be a real
hard job to find the exact numbers you need. I can assure you there is
no-one on this list who has ever tried to get what you need. You need to
keep yourself notes and try things one by one.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User