Still trying to get to 1680x1050 WAS: Upgrade to 8.04 stuck in 800x600

Karl Larsen k5di at
Mon Oct 20 17:49:50 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/19/2008 11:00 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> NoOp wrote:
> [snip]
>>>   I'll try this tomorrow -- right now I'm too bleary eyed and tired of
>>> rebooting :)
>>    Back at it today....I have managed to get the LCD's native resolution
>> 1680x1050 available...but the task bar slips below the bottom and I have
>> to mouse down to force it back up. Simply put the screen at 1680x1050 is
>> too big for the monitor. How do I get around this ???
> That sounds like the mode is running at the wrong frequency. Now that
> you have it available, try changing the frequency in
> System|Pref...|Screen Resolution.
    I think what this user wants is not a usual setting for Resolution.
Just to say it, if the computer can't read the resolution(s) in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf it will just revert to a 800x600 which while a pain,
allows you to re-write xorg.conf :-)

    I have a plain old LCD 17 inch monitor. When I loaded 8.04 it had a
poor image on this screen. But then Ubuntu suggested I get the
non-Ubuntu nVidia driver software which I got and it works fine! I have
a 1280x1024 with a 50HZ vertical which was selected by the software. It
has been fine for many months.

    You seem to have a need for a unusual resolution. It may be a real
hard job to find the exact numbers you need. I can assure you there is
no-one on this list who has ever tried to get what you need. You need to
keep yourself notes and try things one by one.

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User