Still trying to get to 1680x1050 WAS: Upgrade to 8.04 stuck in 800x600

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 20 13:06:43 UTC 2008

Frank McCormick wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> If you've done that, then perhaps you can modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>> file to include the appropriate H/V frequencies:
>>>
>>> HORIZONTAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES
>>> 	Analog: 30 ~ 83 kHz
>>> 	Digital: 30 ~ 83 kHz
>>> VERTICAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES
>>> 	Analog: 56 ~ 75 Hz
>>> 	Digital: 56 ~ 75 Hz
>>>
>>> Or perhaps selecting a different model with the same ranges (L1732TX
>>> Analog for instance), and then make sure that you have 1680 x 1050 mode
>>> settings.
>>>

>>   I'll try this tomorrow -- right now I'm too bleary eyed and tired of
>> rebooting :)
>>

>    Back at it today....I have managed to get the LCD's native resolution
> 1680x1050 available...but the task bar slips below the bottom and I have
> to mouse down to force it back up. Simply put the screen at 1680x1050 is
> too big for the monitor. How do I get around this ???

   Replying to my own mail here :)

   I tried adding the scanning freqs to the config file but the best
success I have had is by running the server with the -configure setting.
It used DDC to find the monitor type...the highest resolution it will
give me is 1600x1200..still can't get the monitors native resolution
1680x1050. In addition running at 1600x1200 gives me a screen thats too
big to fit the monitor and so I have to scroll the screen to see
everything. In addition the screen is a little distorted with circles
squashed into egg shapes.

Xfix from the recovery boot is useless -- it gives me 640x480 and 800x600!!

Cheers

Frank